A Message From Your New Club President…
On October 18, 2014 the CABC held its Annual General Meeting at Riverbend Golf Course. It was an enjoyable evening of socializing and recounting cycling stories, both true and embellished, with friends from the 2014 season. As per previous AGMs there were also some business items to attend to, including the nomination of, and election of the club’s Executive for the upcoming season. For those who were unable to attend I would like to introduce to you our Executive for the 2015 season:
President – Jeff Wright
Mountain Director – Rod Rysavy
Road Director – Grayham Symko
Cyclocross Director – Vacant – Jeff Wright acting Cyclocross Director at this time.
Secretary – Evan Harbinson
Treasurer – Michael Meeres
Membership Director – Allan Sutherland
Clothing Director – Ken Kahanyshyn
Larry Corsiatto and Ted Dahms volunteered to take on supporting roles for the Mountain and Road Directors as Downhill Mountain Bike and Tuesday Road Race Organizers, respectively.
Alongside the election of a new Executive there was a lot of discussion about the future of the CABC. The general consensus was that members want to expand upon what the club currently has to offer, grow the membership and develop cycling opportunities within the City of Red Deer. The Executive has identified the following objectives as priorities for 2015:
- Overhaul our club image
- Increase benefits for club members
- Build a stronger community of mountain bike riders within the club
- Develop our relationship with the City of Red Deer and expand the sanctioned Mountain bike Trail System within the city
- Attract new members; especially junior and female riders
At this time I can tell you that we are off to a great start. The Executive has been hard at work since the AGM in October, having held four meetings already and having invested many hours to begin laying the groundwork to position the Club to meet its objectives for 2015. And so, I would like to share with you some of our progress to date:
- Club Sponsorship - The Executive has successfully developed a sponsorship package, presented it to local businesses and developed partnerships for the next two seasons. I will announce the final details within the next week once all of the commitments have been finalized, but at this time I can tell you that the club has already secured both financial support and membership benefits far beyond what we have enjoyed in previous years. Stay tuned for details.
- Club Name and Image – Through much deliberation it was decided to keep the name of Central Alberta Bicycle Club. Serious consideration was given to making a name change but in the end it was decided that CABC would stand. Our image on the other hand is something that we intend to work to improve in order to attract more mountain bike riders, youth, recreational cyclists, and female cyclists.
- Facebook and Website – Yes, we now have a Central Alberta Bicycle Club group Facebook page! It is already proving to be a great way for people to connect with each other and share their passion for riding bikes. Contact us if you are interested in being invited to the group. Our website has also seen some improvements and will continue to be developed over the next year.
- Membership and Registration – Thanks to Al Sutherland, our Membership Director, registering with the CABC has never been easier. Just follow the link posted on either the CABC website or Facebook page and complete the online registration process. For 2015, Adult General Memberships will cost $50.00, while Under 17 Memberships will be free. For those who are interested, don’t forget to add on the Tuesday Night Race option or make a donation to support the club’s work to maintain and develop Red Deer’s Mountain Bike Trails.
- Logo – We have been working with a graphic designer and are in the final stages of selecting a new club logo. You can expect it to appear on our website soon.
- Clothing – We are also in the final stages of designing fully custom club cycling clothing. Under the direction of Ken, our Clothing Director, and with the support of Rod from Savy Cycle we will have new clothing from Louis Garneau to share with you in the near future. You can expect a range of attractive, well-designed, high quality pieces of cycling clothing exclusively available to our CABC members at a great price. Road, Mountain and women’s specific clothing options will be available to suit your preferences. We are on schedule for it to be ready for this spring, but will be sharing details well in advance.
If you are a past member of the CABC I hope this news is as exciting to you as it is to us. If you are checking our club out for the first time and are wondering whether we might be right for you, please contact us or come and ride with us on one of our group rides.